Wednesday, January 6, 2010

After my ex downloaded Web cam on my PC , I now have blue highlights on certain words. What is this?

My ex insisted that he had a right to install a webcam on the family computer so that he could view the children over the internet. We live in Mexico and the is the first we have had internet access in 6 years. Anyway, It seem to take him a long time to install the program. So I kickded him out of the house and told him that I would have a pro install it for me. He was really angry, I almost had to physically remove him from my house. Now when my daughter uses instant messenger, certain words are highlighted blue. When I send an email, and someone replys, both of our messages have highlighted blue words as well. Also, the computer frequenly crashes, although I have virus software, since the night he worked on the computer. What is this and what can I do to correct the problem? Also, the blue highlights are now on my children's new computer which he has never touched.After my ex downloaded Web cam on my PC , I now have blue highlights on certain words. What is this?
Sounds like your ex installed various types of spyware and adware on the computer. Spyware monitors everything that is going on on your computer (web sites visited, logins and passwords, files opened) and reports back to the creator of the spyware software. Adware displays ads on the screen that you did not request (the blue underlining means that if you click on the word it will show you an ad that related to what you are doing). Regular antivirus programs will not catch spyware or adware because they do not spread on their own but rely on someone else to install them. Some viruses install spyware and adware but most comes onto your computer by other methods.





Spyware %26amp; adware can be very dangerous since your privacy is gone and as you see it also makes your computer crash.





The safest thing to do is to back up your important data, reformat the hard drive and re-install everything. If you don't do this, the spyware/adware has a good chance of coming back.





If you don't want to do that, there are a number of tools out there (for free or for pay) such as Ad-Aware and Spybot S%26amp;D that attempt to remove spyware. Many antivirus companies also sell bundles of their antivirus plus antispyware/anti adware programs. But this is not as safe as reformatting since all these programs can be fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment